Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Case 1

My first patient I would like to describe in story form is patient Art. The name has been changed, but Art comes to me at age 63 years old with a history of prostate cancer. He comes to me with a suprapubic tube in place for one year. This is a tube which traverses the abdomen into the bladder directly.

It was placed due to severe bleeding episodes after treatment for prostate cancer. His psa is now zero; he is essentially cured of prostate cancer upon seeing me.

His history of prostate treatments involved a failed experimental treatment at georgetown followed by a round of radiation treatments also at georgetown, I believe. Subsequently, he underwent seed placement. None of this would I have recommended to him, but I only saw him after the initial insults.

Yes, he is cured, but his bleeding became very profuse. To make matters worse, he developped a fistula between his upper thigh and his bladder. Yes folks, the poor man was dripping urine from his leg on a constant basis!

He ultimately had to have his bladder removed and his ureters placed onto his abdominal wall draining into a bag. His prostate cancer is cured, but his life is miserable.

He is a kind gentle man; one of my favorite and most grateful patients. I dont wish his story or treating physicians upon anyone.

gbr

No comments: